Thursday, June 16, 2011

So You Think You Can't Decide, Judges?

In keeping with this year's theme of judges being utterly useless on Nigel Lythgoe-produced shows, the So You Think You Can Dance judges pussed out on the elimination in the first week of live shows, choosing not to eliminate anyone this week.

You have got to be kidding me. IT'S WEEK ONE! And since they don't trust America enough to let us fully make the decisions on elimination here, they need to actually do their job and eliminate someone. If they're so torn up about kicking two people out now, they'll be downright suicidal when they have to eliminate four next week.

And it's not as if there weren't some clear candidates for elimination. Robert's solo was underwhelming, and his jive the night before was the worst performance of the night. He and Miranda were the least shocking bottom 3 dancers by a country mile. Clarice probably should not have been in the bottom 3, but her solo was the weakest amongst the girls.

Then there's Mitchell, who did not dance in the performance show due to injury. As I said in my performance show recap, if you can't dance, you should be the one leaving the competition. Period. It's unfortunate, but I don't think there should be free passes. There aren't in sports - if you're hurt, you forfeit. Mitchell was able to dance his solo tonight, but it wasn't one that blew me away enough to argue for his survival.

Speaking of the solos, a couple of things stood out for me:
1. Season 1's Melody must have her spirit living in the rehearsal studio with all the HMV moves in everyone's dances.
2. Jess and Tadd's solos are a breath of fresh air amidst the multitudes of contemporary and jazz dancers
3. Robert is a b-boy and did zero tricks in his solo. Does he even understand what the point of the solos are?

The music from tonight's show:
Group Dance (choreographed by Sonya Tayeh) - "XR2" by M.I.A. (Amazon | iTunes)
Keri Hilson (lip-synched) performance - "Lose Control" (Amazon | iTunes)
Mitchell solo - "Say" by John Mayer (Amazon | iTunes)
Jordan solo - "Hot Like Wow" by Nadia Oh (Amazon | iTunes)
Tadd solo - "Jump, Jive An Wail" by The Brian Setzer Orchestra (Amazon | iTunes)
Clarice solo - "Glam" by Christina Aguilera (Amazon | iTunes)
Jess solo - "Mr. Bojangles" by Robbie Williams (Amazon | iTunes)
Miranda solo - "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Leona Lewis (Amazon | iTunes)
Robert solo - "Electric" by Omarion (Amazon | iTunes)

Next week, four dancers will go home. It would serve Nigel right if the bottom 3 couples consisted of three of the front-runners so he'd have to make Sophie's Choice. Maybe then he will realize how asinine this is. I don't buy his comment about giving them all a chance to dance before eliminations. That's what the intro show was for last week.

4 comments:

plumbing supplies said...

Yeah! I've been looking for this event!

plumbing said...

Yeah! New season and new faces. I would love to hear those talented voices that always make the crowd goes wild.

Playmobil said...

I honestly watched the previous seasons where I saw many talented and great singer. Not the fact that they only sung but they also wrote musical composition that there sometimes use as their piece to sing. I really love it!

Double Glazing said...

This is one awesome TV show. I've been watching this and I amazed by the children who auditions here. They are so amazing! I am not a good dancer that's why I totally admire this people.