Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Voice Gets Back To Its Roots

After last week's episode of The Voice, I was starting to think that this show was going downhill fast, with the judges picking singers more for commercial reasons than for vocal reasons. This week, it's back to the premise of the whole show, with all four advancing singers being chosen for vocals. Hurray!


Cee Lo Battle #2: Tje Austin vs. Nakia - Closer by Ne-Yo (Buy on iTunes)
If this was last week, the much more marketable Tje would be a no-brainer, but this week seems to be more about picking a voice, and Nakia had a bit of a more interesting and unique take on the song than Tje, although I also love what he did with the song. And, as Monica said, his voice is more melodic. I would have personally picked Tje, but Cee Lo chose Nakia.

Blake Battle #2: Elenowen vs. Jared Blake - Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye (Buy on iTunes)
What a terrible song choice for a rock singer and a folksy duo. Also, it's not really a fair battle when you've got 1 vs. 2 on a duet, but Jared won all of the judges over. I thought they all sounded oh so karaoke, and I wish Blake could have dumped them both and taken Adam Levine's reject from this week, but the show doesn't work that way, and Blake picked Jared.

Adam Battle #2: Javier Colon vs. Angela Wolff - Stand By Me by Ben E. King (Buy on iTunes)
WHY YOU DO DIS, ADAM?! These two voices are probably my two favorites. Javier is clearly the best singer in this competition, and I think Angela knew she was toast as soon as she got paired with him. She had a great attitude about it, though, and gave a good performance herself, but no one on this show could have topped Javier here.

Christina Battle #2: Beverly McClellan vs. Justin Grennan - Baba O'Riley by The Who (Buy on iTunes)
I didn't really enjoy that as much as the judges did. I found it to be shouty, but if I had to pick, I'd go with Beverly, and that's who Christina chose.

No comments: