Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Voice Battle Rounds Start To Abandon Show's Premise

Funny thing about The Voice ... the premise of the audition rounds revolves around the fact that the judges/mentors can't see the singers and are picking people based on their voice alone. However, in this round, the battle round, things other than their voices clearly played a role in the selections of a few of these singers, as some of the singers earned more praise than the ones actually selected.

Christina Battle #1: Terralyn Ramsey vs. Frenchie Davis (Single Ladies by Beyonce)
I can't believe someone out there actually out-diva'd Frenchie Davis on stage. She showed more diva-tude and diva notes than Frenchie, although there were times when she got into shrieky mode. Blake compared the battle to Rocky, with Rocky (Terralyn) coming in at the last minute with an upper-cut to Apollo (Frenchie). But Frenchie is the one getting a lot of the press, so of course Christina's going to pick Frenchie.

Blake Battle #1: Patrick Thomas vs. Tyler Robinson (Burning Love by Elvis Presley)
I thought both of them have kind of bland voices, and if I had to pick on voice, I guess I would choose Tyler (if I ignore the last part of the song where he turned into a hot mess). But if I had to pick based on what I'd rather see on stage, it would be Patrick. And for the second-straight performance, the person who got the most praise from the others didn't get picked. But really ... is it any surprise that the country star picked the country singer over the unmarketable non-genre singer?

Adam Battle #1: Casey Weston vs. Tim Mahoney (Leather & Lace by Stevie Nicks/Don Henley)
Casey has quite a bit of a goat vibrato, and Tim does have a high-pitched voice. I'm kind of in the Cee Lo camp in thinking that Tim has more distinct, unique vocals, but I'm not sure that it's the type of vocal that I would want to hear on a daily basis. Not that I want to hear Casey's vibrato a whole lot either. Adam's decision basically came down to cute girl who looks like a cross between Colbie Caillat and Vanessa Carlton in short, tight dress or guy who he thought was a girl and then got stuck with. No shock here that he picked Casey.

Cee Lo Battle #1: Vicci Martinez vs. Niki Dawson (Perfect by Pink)
I agree so much with Blake here - Cee Lo made a huge mistake in pairing these two. HUGE. It's absolutely criminal that one of them has to be cut. You can't go wrong either way, but Vicci has that special something in her voice that can't be denied, and she went through.

I thought the pacing of this week's show was painfully slow. Four performances in one hour? Zzzzzz. Hopefully they trim some of the mentoring sessions and give us more performances in the coming weeks.

No comments: