Wednesday, May 04, 2011

AI10 Top 5 - Big Changes From Then To Now

This week, the American Idol Top 5 sang songs from then and now, doing one current song and one song from the 60's. The then and now theme could apply to the standings of the five contestants as well. At the start of this season, it was clear that the show's favorites were Lauren Alaina and Jacob Lusk. That was then ... this is now. While the judges may still favor Lauren, her star has lost its luster, and it's pretty obvious that the judges and the show have had about enough of Jacob. Meanwhile, James Durbin has emerged as THE judges' favorite (they turn the other cheek when he sings poorly .... ahem, Randy Jackson. Note the correct way to use that term). I suspect that Scotty McCreery has been holding the lions share of votes since the semifinals, and Haley Reinhart has steadily been picking up votes week to week and especially now after her performance to close the show.

James Durbin - "Closer To The Edge" by 30 Seconds To Mars
The extreme pimping of Mr. Durbin has now extended to Sheryl Crow too, I see. And please. If singing with James Durbin is your idea of the ultimate, maybe you really SHOULD retire, Sheryl Crow. James' lower register is super-weak, and he wasn't quite hitting all the right notes. And so much grossness from that sleeveless top. DNW to see pit hairs like that while I'm eating.

Jacob Lusk - "No Air" by Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown
I wish Jacob had run out of air and passed out during the performance so we didn't have to be subjected to that horrific dancing. Hip thrusts and possible crotch grab during a Jordin Sparks song? NO. And his voice doesn't work on this song. Randy's right - that isn't him. And LOL OOPS, JLo clearly doesn't see him in the finale.

Lauren Alaina - "Flat On The Floor" by Carrie Underwood
I guess if Lauren was going to do Carrie-Okie karaoke, it's good she picked a song that wasn't a massive hit like "Before He Cheats". Honestly, Lauren didn't bring ANYTHING new to that song, unless new = inferior vocals.

Scotty McCreery - "Gone" by Montgomery Gentry
It was a little bit corny, but it did kind of feel like a concert performance more than an Idol performance (I mean, country music performances can be kind of corny like that). Scotty really does know how the work the stage.

Haley Reinhart - "You And I" by Lady Gaga
Jimmy suggested this unreleased Lady Gaga song to Haley. INTERESTING. He may be the only person on this show in Haley's corner (or he's trying to sabotage her). I have never heard this song in my life (I wish she had done "Speechless" instead, to be honest), so I have no idea how it's supposed to sound, but to me, Haley sounded fantastic from a vocal-standpoint. It's too bad the song sucked.

James Durbin - "Without You" by Harry Nilsson
James get an extended pimp package here with sob story #240. This is not the audition rounds, producers! The first verse was lovely and vulnerable, and then he started wailing/crying, and it became a big pile of DNW. Just like last week. The judges basically saying it wasn't a good vocal but it doesn't matter because he cried! Ummmm .... In his post-critique chat with Ryan, James said of his performance, "I delivered." Stay humble there, James. Because you really weren't as good as you think you were.

Jacob Lusk - "Love Hurts" by Nazareth
More ~recommendations from Jimmy Iovine. When will the kids realize that his ideas SUCK? Also lol singing this song with a harp. Could you BE any more old-fashioned, Jacob? And more judge-speak: You effed up in the middle of the song, but you brought out the high notes (NO, Randy, that was NOT a Mariah note. Nor was it pleasing on my ears!) so that doesn't matter!

Lauren Alaina - "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers
I really can't stand this song, to be honest. Lauren needs to lay off the fake bake. It's SO distracting, especially with a song this boring and drawn out. She really could have done so much more with this song vocally, but she pussed out on the high notes.

Scotty McCreery - "Always On My Mind" by Elvis Presley
He had a little bit of trouble with the super-low notes early in the song, but I like when Scotty shows tender moments with the dawg. But maybe it was too soon after last week's performance. But whatever - he has now had two grandma moments on this show. He has this in the bag.

Haley Reinhart - "House Of The Rising Sun" by The Animals
Oooh good suggestion from Sheryl Crow to go a cappella. That was gorgeous. And, unlike James last week, Haley actually did something cool with the song even when the band kicked in. She took it to another gear and went flat-out sultry and sexy. LOVED IT.

Rankings for the night:
Haley

Scotty

(BIG GAP)

Lauren

(BIGGER GAP)

Jacob/James

Bottom 2 predictions: Jacob, Lauren
Going home: Jacob

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I hope Jacob goes home...his odd dancy and his screaming queen style just don't cut it for me...and believe me, I love the screaming queens but there is something just too much about Jacob-he is not current and he is not even old fashioned...he has to go...I still don't like Haley at all-voice is great but she is too self indulged and completely in to herself...I was not impressed with James tonight at all..the boo hoo thing got old even though I know he wants to win badly, but the first song was atrocious...flat, sharp...pitchy...everywhere....and I actually DO like James-but I don't like how he forces people to stand for him when he sings. I just miss Casey...nuff said!

Water Cooler Convo said...

OH YES! I totally hate how James is always gesturing for people to stand or applaud more. When he did it last week (the camera had a tight shot, so you couldn't see it on TV), I stopped applauding.