Friday, September 24, 2010

Boyz II Men, En Vogue At LA County Fair

There was no bigger R&B act in the 90's than Boyz II Men, who used to have songs topping the Billboard charts for 3-4 months at a time (their "One Sweet Day" with Mariah Carey still holds the Billboard record with 16 weeks at No. 1 on the Hot 100, breaking their previous record of 14 for "I'll Make Love To You", which broke their other previous record of 13 for "End of the Road"). Probably one of the most successful female band of the 90's was En Vogue, who had platinum albums, chart-topping songs, Grammy nominations and a bunch of MTV Music Video Awards, American Music Awards and Soul Train Awards.

These two groups joined forces last night for a really entertaining concert at the LA County Fair. En Vogue, back with its original lineup, played for about 45 minutes, powering through all of their hits (I had forgotten how many they had!), plus a really fun medley of songs by artists they were influenced by (songs included "To Be Real", "Bad Girls", "Ring My Bell", "Best Of My Love", "In My House", "Tell Me Something Good" and "Respect") (Partial videos here and here).

Boyz II Men, which is now a trio (bass man Michael McCary is definitely missed), headlined and played for an hour. They sang all of their biggest hits (with one notable absence: "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday"). Like En Vogue, they also had a really fun medley, performing some of the songs they recorded on their Motown hits CD, complete with old-school choreography. They also performed songs from their recent covers album, Love - Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" and Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris".

The biggest thing that I took out of this concert was how much fun everyone in the audience was having. Everyone around me was singing and dancing along. People were dancing in the aisles. A woman in front of me moved to a bunch of empty seats next to me so she could have more room to dance. Before Boyz II Men came on stage, an intro video was played, and people were totally singing along to the snippets of songs that were played on that video even after the music had stopped. People were singing along with the music that was playing as we exited the venue ("One Sweet Day"). Their music is timeless. I guarantee you that 20 years from now, no one will be singing half of the crappy songs from crappy singers that radio force-feeds us today (yeah, I'm looking at you, Ke$ha).

So come back in time with me and listen to some 90's R&B classics (one of my favorite genres ever!).

Hold On:


On Bended Knee:


Water Runs Dry (from my friend ocamy24):


I'll Make Love To You:


A Song For Mama:


End of the Road:


Motownphilly:

1 comment:

SarahBeth said...

I am so jealous - so glad you had a blast. I love Boyz II Men - I listened to their music ALL through high school - was fabulous.

Thanks as always for the goodies. :D