Friday, August 13, 2010
Lauren Froderman Wins SYTYCD Season 7
Lauren is the third female winner in seven seasons, joining Season 3's Sabra Johnson and Season 5's Jeanine Mason.
The finale was a two-hour build-up to the winning announcement, with the judges selecting some of the standout performances of the season. Unfortunately, due to the ridiculous amount of injuries this year, some of the real standouts couldn't be performed (i.e. nearly everything by Alex Wong, Ashley and Ade's contemporary). And since they couldn't exactly make it the Lauren and Kent show, I think they had to pick a few dances that really had no business being there (i.e. Billy/Robert Bollywood) and omit some that should have been (i.e. Kent/Lauren's prom dance, Jose/Twitch/Dominic/Comfort hip-hop, Billy/Kathryn "Jar of Hearts"). Also, notice that AdeChike had just one dance? Not that I can think of other dances he did that were standouts, but they must really disdain him to only have him do one routine when he came in fourth place.
Anyway, Alex's injury didn't stop the show from reprising his infamous hip-hop dance with Twitch. They got a special celebrity guest to do his part in the dance - Ellen DeGeneres! Not even gonna lie - I thought this would be lame. But she did a great job and kept it super-entertaining. She's no Alex Wong, but who is?
5 rewind moments from the finale:
1. Lauren's winning moment and subsequent Gatorade bath
2. Ellen DeGeneres doing a credible and hilarious take on Alex Wong's dance with Twitch. Her "surprise" entrance, with that nod to Twitch and Katee's door routine from Season 4, was perfection.
3. Quest Crew's routine. They are amazing! Entertaining, intricate and breath-taking choreography delivered with such precision and style. They are sick.
4. UK winner Charlie Bruce & Neil doing a Mandy Moore routine. She's a GORGEOUS dancer. Her extension and lines are phenomenal, and that routine was so lovely and daring all at the same time.
5. Russell and Lil C dancing together. Russell was outdoing Lil C there in the beginning!
5 fast forward moments:
1. Mia Michael's makeup.
2. The selection of reprise performances - only the Top 6 performed (Alexie, Cristina and Melinda must feel like the bastard children of this season), no ballroom chosen (notice that the Kent/Anya dance wasn't actually chosen by one of the judges), and Billy and Robert's Bollywood as one of the favorites (too much Bollywood this season!)
3. Nigel's cheesy bit about not being able to dance.
4. The awkward performance style (and possible lip-syncing?) of Black Gold.
5. Tap routine by the Manzari Brothers that went on about 2 minutes too long (sorry - not a fan of tap!)
Opening Group Number - choreographed by Christopher Scott
"Ra" by Nathan Lanier
Kent/Neil - Broadway, choreographed by Tyce Diori (Kenny Ortega selection)
"Shoeless Joe From Hannibal Mo" from Damn Yankees (1994 original Broadway cast) (iTunes | Amazon)
Billy/Ade - Contemporary, choreographed by Stacey Tookey (Nigel Lythgoe selection)
"Mad World (Alternate)" by Michael Andrews feat. Gary Jules (iTunes | Amazon)
"Suzy" by Caravan Palace (iTunes | Amazon)
AdeChike/Comfort - Hip-Hop, choreographed by Tabitha & Napoleon (Mia Michaels selection)
"Fallin'" by Alicia Keys (iTunes | Amazon)
"L-O-V-E" by Joss Stone (iTunes | Amazon)
"My First Kiss" by 3OH!3/Kesha (iTunes | Amazon)
Robert/Dominic - Hip-Hop, choreographed by Tabitha & Napoleon (Tyce Diorio selection)
"Scars" by Basement Jaxx feat. Kelis, Meleka & Chipmunk (iTunes | Amazon)
National Dance Day video
"Club Can't Handle Me" by Flo Rida feat. David Guetta (iTunes | Amazon)
Lauren/Pasha - Argentine Tango, choreographed by Miriam & Leonardo (Nigel Lythgoe selection)
"Oblivion" by Astor Piazzolla (iTunes | Amazon)
Robert/Allison - Contemporary, choreographed by Travis Wall (Adam Shankman selection)
"Fix You" by Coldplay (iTunes | Amazon)
Russell Ferguson/Lil C
"Hazardous" by Buckmout
Jose/Dominic - Break-Dancing, choreographed by Tabitha & Napoleon (Mary Murphy selection)
"Battle For The Beat" by District 78 (iTunes | Amazon)
Charlie Bruce/Neil Haskell - Contemporary choreographed by Mandy Moore
"I Surrender" by Celine Dion (iTunes | Amazon)
Robert goodbye video
"Something To Hope For" by The Undeserving (iTunes | Amazon)
Lauren/Twitch - Hip-Hop, choreographed by Tabitha & Napoleon (Adam Shankman selection)
"My Chick Bad" by Ludacris & Nicki Minaj (iTunes | Amazon)
Alex/Allison - Jazz, choreographed by Sonya Tayeh
"Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley (iTunes | Amazon)
Billy/Robert - Bollywood, choreographed by Nakul (Stacey Tookey selection)
"Ganesh" from the Bombay Dreams soundtrack (iTunes | Amazon)
Kent/Neil - Contemporary, choreographed by Travis Wall (Mia Michaels selection)
"How It Ends" by DeVotchKa (iTunes | Amazon)
Black Gold performance
"Shine" (iTunes | Amazon)
Twitch/Ellen - Hip-Hop, choreographed by Tabitha & Napoleon
"Outta Your Mind" by Lil Jon & LMFAO (iTunes | Amazon)
Kent and Lauren video
"Goodbye" by Ry Cuming