Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Best Idol Auditions, Seasons 1-8

With the start of a new American Idol season just hours away, here's a look back at what I think are the best Idol auditions from each of the past 8 seasons. And since I'm very indecisive and have trouble deciding rank order, I'm just going to list one from each season.

Season 1: Kelly Clarkson - Express Yourself
The vocals didn't totally blow me away, but her personality just shined in this audition when she switched places with Randy and judged him.


Season 2: Vanessa Olivarez - Bohemian Rhapsody
She brought personality, uniqueness and strong vocals to her audition. You gotta stand out in order to make it through, and she definitely did that.


Season 3: Jon Peter Lewis - Crazy Love
He may have looked like a pen salesman, but he sold it with a great song choice.

Season 4: Carrie Underwood - I Can't Make You Love Me
The farmgirl was flawless in her audition.


Season 5: Paris Bennett - Cowboy Take Me Away/Take Five
This is probably one of the best, if not THE best, auditions EVER.


Season 6: Melinda Doolittle - For Once In My Life
She walked into the audition room all shy and meek, and when she opened her mouth ... HOLY CRAP. I still think she is technically the best singer Idol has ever had.


Season 7: Michael Johns - I've Been Loving You Too Long
Sexy, soulful and powerful. UNF.


Season 8: Megan Joy - Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man
Her uniqueness made her a standout in auditions. She got a little TOO quirky later in the competition, but this was terrific.