Thursday, December 31, 2009

Kris Allen Vegas Concert

Kris Allen played a 9-song set at midnight Dec. 30 at the B.B. King's Blues Club in Las Vegas. I was fortunate enough to be in the front row, dead center for my first ever Kris Allen solo concert, and it was such an incredible concert experience. He debuted Red Guitar (!!!!!!) and played an impromptu solo "Ain't No Sunshine" on acoustic guitar at a fan's request as an encore.

People were chanting for more songs after LLWD, and this person asked Kris for the second time to do Ain't No Sunshine, so he did. And it was spectacular. He hasn't performed this since when - May? (ETA: Oops, forgot about the Idol tour. But he hasn't done it on guitar since May) As cheesy as this sounds, I think he was just playing from his heart there. It was different than any version we've seen, and obviously he wasn't planning on playing it. It was just great. True musicianship.

Here's the setlist (which I got a copy of - wooo! And which was wrong lol. Baby One More Time and Ain't No Sunshine were not on the original setlist):

Heartless/Gangsta's Paradise
Can't Stay Away (on guitar)
Alright With Me
Is It Over
Man In The Mirror
Red Guitar
Baby One More Time
Live Like We're Dying
Ain't No Sunshine (encore)

One thing that I tried to do was observe the crowd response. There were a good amount of guys there, and they were being pretty vocal. One guy yelled out after Baby One More Time - "You're my hero!". Another guy was cheering after Andrew's guitar solo on "Is It Over" (that song got a really great response). The guy behind me was really liking the "Gangsta's Paradise" part of "Heartless" and the "Man in the Mirror" cover. A girl next to me who hadn't heard Kris' album before really loved "Alright With Me" and also commented how funny Kris was during his banter. Everyone really seemed to enjoy the show. I know I did!

For me, "Red Guitar" and "Ain't No Sunshine" were highlights. Kris said before "Red Guitar" that they had never played this before, and after people cheered, he joked "Yeahhhh! It's gonna suck!" LMAO. But it was incredible. The song just fits him like a glove vocally, musically and emotionally. And the instrumental ending was insane. He was SO into it. I feel honored to have witnessed his first concert performance of that song. And I adored the bluesy songs he did - "Ain't No Sunshine" and "Is It Over". The latter seems to have become my favorite live Kris song. I think I must have a real fondness for bluesy Kris.

Here are the videos from the concert.

Heartless/Gangsta's Paradise


Can't Stay Away


Alright With Me


Is It Over


Man In The Mirror


Red Guitar:


Baby One More Time


Live Like We're Dying


Ain't No Sunshine:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the video and the report. Loved Red Guitar. Having been lucky enough to see Kris perform live twice, I agree he is a fantastic live performer!

gabrieloak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gabrieloak said...

I love Red Guitar. How lucky you could see him in a smaller venue where he wasn't overamplified.

How large was the audience? Were they responsive?

Anita__wanita said...

╔╦╗╔═╗╔╗╔╗═╔═╗╔═╗╔═╗╔╦╗ⓨⓔⓢ ║║║║║║║╚╝║═║╔╝║║║║╠╣║═╣ⓨⓞⓤ ╚╗║╚═╝╚══╝═╚╝═╚═╝╚═╝╚╩╝

bravoksw said...

Enjoyed all the videos. Kris is kick awesome in live concerts.