Monday, August 24, 2009

Simon Calls X-Factor Audition Best Ever

Britain's X-Factor just started up this week, and Simon Cowell may have already found his next Susan Boyle, except this guy isn't an old schoolmarm/cat woman. Twenty-seven year-old teacher Danyl Johnson's first audition created a bit of a frenzy in the studio audience and with the judging panel, who gave him a standing ovation after he sang "With A Little Help From My Friends."

Simon gave Danyl HUGE praise, saying, "Danyl, I've been doing this for - how many years? - eight, nine years. Danyl, that was single-handedly the best first audition I have ever heard."

It was really good, yes, but I also think it was certainly aided by not only a backing track with full instrumentation but also a really enthusiastic live audience. You just don't get that on American Idol. Leona Lewis didn't have that either when she auditioned for X Factor in 2006. Paul Potts and Susan Boyle did on Britain's Got Talent. Was it better than theirs? I dunno. It's different. But I did really enjoy Danyl. He owned it with the stage presence and definitely knew how to work the crowd. I liked how he played with the microphone to the beat of the song. Maybe a little cheesy, but cute.

So that has me thinking - who had the best American Idol first audition ever? Amongst the winners, I'd probably go with Carrie Underwood. David Cook sounded good, but the hair and outfit were hot messes.

Michael Slezak compiled a Top 12 list on Entertainment Weekly. I don't know when this list was done. I was going to guess before Season 6 because I didn't see Melinda Doolittle on here (WHAT, Slezak?!), but Brandon Rogers is, so it must be before Season 7? It's dated Jan. 2009, though. Anyway, here's the list:
1. Paris Bennett (oooh good choice)
2. Frenchie Davis
3. Justin Guarini
4. Carrie Underwood
5. Brandon Rogers
6. Taylor Hicks
7. Fantasia Barrino
8. Kimberley Locke
9. Lindsay Cardinale
10. Amy Adams
11. Kelly Clarkson
12. Sundance Head/Chris Sligh

What do you all think? Who should be added, esp. from Seasons 7 and 8? If you have suggestions that may jog my memory, I might do my own list. I'd love to include people who didn't make Top 12 who were really good too! I just can't remember some of them off-hand ... which might not make their first audition memorable. haha

1 comment:

Kimberwyn said...

That guy was so annoying. He has Danny Gokey written all over him. My all time fave auditions would probably be Carrie Underwood and Katharine McPhee.