Friday, August 07, 2009

R.I.P. John Hughes

Iconic 80's teen movie writer/director/producer John Hughes died Thursday morning of a heart attack in New York City. He was 59.

John Hughes was the man responsible for the great 80's movies "Sixteen Candles", "Pretty In Pink", "The Breakfast Club", "Some Kind Of Wonderful" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". He hadn't directed any movies since "Home Alone" and "Curly Sue" in the early 90's, but his films will forever remain the definition of the teen genre for my generation.

Fans have taken to Twitter to list their top John Hughes quotes. Here are some of my favorites:

From Sixteen Candles
Long Duk Dong: "What's-a happenin' Hot Stuff?"

Long Duk Dong: "No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"

Samantha: "I can't believe my grandmother actually felt me up."

[after Jake goes to Samantha's house to see her]
Long Duk Dong: She got married.
Jake: What?
Long Duk Dong: She at the church. She getting married to oily bohunk.
Jake: Married?
Long Duk Dong: Married.
Jake: Married?
Long Duk Dong: Yeah. Married
[closes door]
Jake: [turns around, under breath to himself] Married?
Long Duk Dong: Married! Jeez.

From Pretty In Pink
Duckie: "BLANE?! His name is Blane? That's a major appliance; that's not a name!"

Duckie: "Well, that's very nice. I'm glad. Well here's the point, Andie. I'm not particularly concerned with whether or not you like me, because I live to like you and I can't like you anymore. So ... so when you're feeling real low and dirty, and your heart is splattered all over hell, don't look to me to pump you back up 'cause ... 'cause ... 'cause maybe for the first time in your life I WON'T BE THERE!"

Iona: "I know I'm old enough to be his mother, but when the Duck laid that kiss on me last night, I swear my thighs just went up in flames! He must practice on melons or something."

Blane: "You said you couldn't be with someone who didn't believe in you. Well I believed in you. I just didn't believe in myself. I love you. Always."

From The Breakfast Club
Bender: "You know how you said before, how your parents use you to get back at each other? Wouldn't I be outstanding in that capacity?"

Allison: "I never did it either. I'm not a nymphomaniac. I'm a compulsive liar."

Bender: "Well, Brian, this is a very nutritious lunch. All the food groups are represented. Did your mom marry Mr. Rogers?"
Brian Johnson: "Uh, no. Mr. Johnson."

From Some Kind Of Wonderful
Keith: "Well, I like art, I work in a gas station, my best friend is a tomboy. These things don't fly too well in the American high school."

Laura: "Any fool can get into college. Only a select few can say the same about Amanda Jones."

Watts: "You break his heart, I break your face."

Amanda: "I'd rather be with someone for the wrong reasons then alone for the right."

From Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Ferris: "This is my ninth sick day this semester. It's pretty tough coming up with new illnesses. If I go for 10, I'm probably going to have to barf up a lung, so I better make this one count."

Teacher: "Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?"

Cameron: "Ferris Bueller, you're my hero."

Ferris: "Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

No comments: