Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Kris Allen Ultimate Interview - Pt. 3

In Part 3 of the LA Times' Kris Allen Ultimate Interview, Kris talks about his run on American Idol and how his master re-arrangements came about.

When asked if re-arranging songs was something he'd always done, he said, "When you play in bars and you have to play for three hours, you have to play songs people know. I never wanted to just play a song that people know. I wanted people to think, 'That’s a cool way to sing that song' or 'That’s a cool way to play that song,' and so it’s always been a part of what I do as a performer."

On how he made his songs on Idol his own, he said, "I completely forget about the song as [the original artist] does it and I think how I would play the song phrasing-wise, chord structure-wise and feeling-wise. It all comes together. I hear what it’s going to sound like in my head and I run with it. Once I hear it in my head, then I’ll start playing something on my guitar and singing along with it and it still sounds like the song but it’s not the way that person did it. Hopefully it’s a way that no one has ever thought of doing it before. That’s the way I like to do things. I like to be weird."

Other highlights include Kris' reaction to hearing it was "Disco Week" ("Crap! ... I’m not a fan of disco. There’s probably a couple disco songs I can listen to, but most of it isn’t about anything. It’s definitely not me.") and his words of wisdom about his strategy on Idol ("My strategy was to stand out in my own way, which is not singing super-high notes. Also changing up the feeling of the different songs. And not competing against each other. I felt like that was the biggest strategy for me, don’t compare myself to everyone else, because we’re all so good at different things."). Critics, take heed of that last sentence. Seriously.

No comments: