Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Kris Allen Ultimate Interview - Pt. 2

Because no Kris Allen fan should have to wait for this, here is the LA Times' part 2 of the Kris Allen Ultimate Interview by Fred Bronson. The peeing in the bathroom between Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson story that he told in Billboard.com gets resurrected here, which I think confirms my suspicion that this interview was done in June.

So a couple of new things came out in this part of the interview, such as Kris and Katy not owning a TV. I would never survive in that house. Kris is friends with American Idol Season 6 Hollywood contestant Sean Michel, the long-haired bearded guy who looked like a cross between Jesus and Fidel Castro. It sounds like Kris was hoping to at least get enough exposure like Sean did to get some gigs and make some music. I think Kris did ok, don't you think?

Kris goes into detail about the first round of auditions with his brother and friend and getting the news that he and Daniel made it through to the next round:

So my brother and I are sitting there, all five of us actually, and the judges say, “Can I have you, you and you?” It was the guy next to my brother and my friend and the other funny guy and the judges said, “Can you come up here?” And me and my brother are thinking, “Oh crap.” And they told them, “Sorry, this isn’t going to work out,” and so me and my brother hugged each other stupidly and my friend was so happy for us and it was a cool moment. Me and my brother aren’t a lot alike and our personalities don’t mix, so it’s nice when we have moments like that where we meet in the middle.

He also explains why he said he's not the best singer in the world (and I'm glad he explains this because people STILL use this quote against him):

I felt like I did really well and then Simon said something about my confidence. I remember him asking me, “Are you the best singer in the world?” and I thought, “Are you serious?” So I said, “No, I’m not the best singer in the world.” Who would say that? If you say that you’re the best singer in the world, you’re probably not the best singer in the world.

Some funny from Kris about the bathroom experience with Randy and Simon:

When you walked in to audition, did Simon and Randy recognize you from the urinals?

No, they didn’t. I wanted to say, “Didn’t I just see you in the bathroom?” but I thought maybe I shouldn’t say anything, especially if it’s going to make it to TV.

And you didn’t talk to them while you were all in the bathroom?

No, I didn’t say anything. I was nervous, but my friend said I should have asked them, “Are you guys trying out?”

LOL! That has his friend Charles written all over it.

And here are some you're-too-modest-Kris-Allen quotes to end this part of the interview:

"I don’t feel like I have one of those voices that makes people say, 'Wow! What the heck?'"

(about the Group 2 semifinals) "That was the hardest week. You go from [a group of 13] to [a Top] Three. You couldn’t be the fourth best. When I go back and listen to that performance, I don’t think that deserved to go through, because I seriously felt like our group was incredible, and when you think about it, it was. We had Jasmine, Megan, Matt, me, Adam, Allison. Out of the top 13, there’s six of us in there. I think that was it from that group. So yeah, it was really shocking to make it through that week. That was probably the most shocking time."

He sells himself way too short. He absolutely deserved to go through that week. He can't just listen to his own - you have to take into account what everyone else did, and everyone outside of Kris, Adam and Allison blew it in some way that night. But he's entirely way too nice to ever say that.

No comments: