Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Idol News Roundup - 8/4/09

Adam Lambert story in the Baltimore Sun talks about his album, his ride on Idol and how his background in theater helped him on the show. I like this quote from Adam: "I'm surprised that people looked past a lot of the other stuff. Maybe I suspended their disbelief and allowed them to be entertained. I think that's what music should be." He said that he has "some creative control and input as to what is going to be in the album. Contrary to popular belief, they do not puppet us around after 'Idol.' ... There's a lot of sexy songs - songs that are fun to dance to. There's a lot of anthems and stuff you can sing along to. It pretty much just kicks ass."

And E! Online talks to Adam about the sex toys and bras being thrown onstage at him at the concerts.

"It interesting," he says. "I got some glow-in-the-dark handcuffs. It's really getting creative. It's exciting. I think they really want me to play with these toys during the number."

So does he? "I always try to because I enjoy that," he says. "But then somebody threw a bra on during 'Starlight,' and, literally, it missed my face by three inches. Yeah, I am going to be a little bit more passive-aggressive, so I decided not to even acknowledge the bra that got thrown on stage, because I didn't want to condone the behavior."

LOL at him not wanting to condone the bra-throwing, but being enjoying and being excited about the sex toys being thrown on stage.

Kind of old, but new to me, Q&A on Anoop Desai in The Burlington Times News. Anoop talks barbecue ("As long as it’s good and it’s pork, I’ll eat it.", Tar Heels ("Kris and I would watch the games together. Nobody else cared about college basketball, but us.") and how he got into singing at age 2 ("by singing 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' at my uncle’s house").

Michael Sarver talks about life on the road in an article on the American Idol website. He describes what it's like on the bus ("He said the guys on the bus are always making fun of each other, but they know when to turn it on and when to turn it off. Michael describes the guys as very level-headed and the atmosphere on the bus as both 'fun and serious.'") and talks about how being on the road inspires him. Sarver says, "I see a lot of people from different places while on tour, and it's made a huge impact on me as an artist and writer to come face to face with the people who got me to this point."

Jen Aronoff from the Charlotte Observer added in her blog Idol Thoughts more from Kris, Anoop, Danny Gokey, Matt Giraud, Lil Rounds and Megan Joy from the Charlotte concert pre-press hour that didn't make the cut in the newspaper. There are also some video snippets of the interview. Some interesting bits of info: Megan SO did not choose that pink outfit she's wearing during her set (poor Megan - that outfit is so not her. That sucks that the show's producers are not letting her show what she really is). And I about died laughing reading this from Anoop about his much-maligned entrance backdrop: "We cut most of that, because it was terrible. I saw that the day of the first concert, and I was like, 'You've got to be kidding me. That's the corniest thing I've ever seen in my life.'...I would've laughed at me."

Kris Allen's wife Katy gets a big spread in the Arkansas Life magazine. The magazine goes into great detail about Katy personally, as well as her relationship with Kris, including how they first got together.

Katy sounds like a great gal. Or as Kris calls her "the coolest chick in the world." As the magazine said, "She's the kind of woman who could inspire jealousy in other women, except that she's so darn nice ... She thanks everyone on the photo shoot repeatedly, asks for an address so she can send the makeup artist a thank you note and apologizes for taking so long - which she didn't."

Chris Daughtry had an interesting thing to say about how Idol DIDN'T help him prepare for fame in this article in the Attleboro Sun Chronicle: "When you're on that show you have no clue what's going on outside of that. You're kind of in a bubble. You're not really out in the public eye. You're not out getting swarmed by fans or anything. You're kind of locked in a glass case. You start to get a sense of that fame once you do that tour (the 'American Idols Live' tour that follows each season's final episode), because now all of a sudden all the fans are coming out and you're doing meet and greets, and (realizing) 'Whoa, this is new.' It's kind of like getting thrown out to the wolves and just the strong survive, really. You have to be very strong mentally to handle it yourself and not get caught up in believing your own hype."

David Cook concert review from Musikfest, where it mentions that he met up with his old seventh-grade girlfriend, a local meteorologist. More on that story here.

No comments: