Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The One: Making A Music Farce

ABC's answer to American Idol, America's Got Talent and Rock Star debuted tonight. The show - The One: Making A Music Star - was billed as the one show that takes you where no other televised singing competition has taken you before ... behind the scenes and into the house where the contestants live.

First of all, been there, done that. The rockers live together on Rock Star both this season and last season.

Second of all, on Idol and Rock Star, you can viably see the contestants becoming future stars. In the half-hour that I saw of The One, all I saw were a bunch of amateurs who wouldn't even make it to the judges round on American Idol. The song choices I saw made the ones on Idol seem cutting edge. "Let's Get It On", "Addicted To Love" (played with a fiddle to open), "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" and "Born To Be Wild". I did not see one single star amongst this group. And the production values leave little to be desired. The reality portion did not capture my attention either.

So even after all that, if you must insist on watching this show (for train-wreck purposes, I can only presume), take this tip - don't watch Rock Star: Supernova first. After seeing a kick-ass show that featured songs like "Zombie", "Everybody Hurts" and "Plush", seeing the crap I saw on The One just makes it worse.

No comments: