Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Feeling Patriotic

A day late, yes, but on the 5th of July, I thought I'd put together a compilation of National Anthem performances I found on You Tube. And to narrow it down a bit, these are all American Idols singing.

From best to worst (unfortunately, You Tube is not hosting the best Idol anthem I've seen, hands-down ... the one by the AI4 finalists minus the Top 2 at the Coca-Cola 600. The harmonies are just beautiful):

Anthony Fedorov (2006 Dodgers game) - He always sings it well and handles the high notes with such ease and even takes it up higher than most do. Impressive vocals.

Lisa Tucker (2006 Angels game) - The jets are the focal point of the video, but Lisa's voice is remarkable when you can hear it. Listen to how long she holds "land of the free".

Carrie Underwood (2006 Nascar) - Lovely and effortless

Josh Gracin (2005 Nascar) - Countrified version but strong voiced and pretty meaningful coming from an ex-Marine

Bo Bice (4th of July) - Nice and straight-up with a bit of a southern rock flair

Clay Aiken (Carolina Hurricanes game) - A bit bombastic and "look at me I can sing!" but sung effortlessly

Fantasia Barrino (2004 MLB All-Star game) - Her diction is weird, and it sounds like she sings "the lamparts we watched" and the "rockets led glare". Nice ending though

Kelly Clarkson (2005 NBA finals) - Some interesting phrasing disguised as soulfulness, I guess. Her voice cracked at the end

Kellie Pickler (Idol homecoming) - She sounds like Reba. One of her better vocal performances until the end, when she veers out of tune

Diana DeGarmo (2004 Nascar) - A bit over the top and shouty

Tamyra Gray (Atlanta mayor inauguration) - After her monstrosity of an anthem before the season 3 AI finale, I always worry when she sings this. She sang it like a death march. She has a tendency to sing oh so very slow

Elliott Yamin (2006 NBA Finals) - He had to turn that into a melismatic mess after he started it too high. I prefer my anthems sung where I can recognize it

Ace Young (2006 Colorado Crush game) - Very breathy and missing notes. The singing of the song as if he's singing a love song to some pre-teen, complete with his usual schlocky arm movements, is very inappropriate

22 comments:

lisa said...

Aww too bad I have dialup or else I would have LOVED to have heard some of these anthems!! Way to be patriotic to your fellow Idols! :)

Ray of Sunshine said...

Too bad you didn't review Clay's other SSB's. World Series 2003, Capitol 4th 2004 (this one is spectacular), NASCAR Dover, DE.

Sorry, for me none of the idols beat Clay, check out youtube.

Liza D. said...

I didn't like the World Series one all that much. From what I remember, it seemed as if he got spooked by the planes. But anyway, I just went with the most recent one I found. Frankly, after hearing almost 15 different versions of the anthem while I was writing this, I was getting sick of the song. LOL

pax said...

I agree that no one does it better than Clay:

Captiol Fourth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec4E_FMgF0s

Durham Bulls in May 2003:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFXc6V-Yyz8

I also really like this one by Ayla Brown (AI5) just this year with the Boston Pops:
http://cbs4boston.com/video/?id=21898@wbz.dayport.com

pax said...

Sorry, I forgot this one of Clay's, another lovely rendition:
Clay singing the Star Spangled Banner at the World Series in 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzYDYzhmMRc

Tara said...

Loved hearing all these. Diana is scheduled to sing the National Anthem this Sunday at 3:30/2:30c on TNT, so don't miss it.

Here's a clip of her singing it when she was around 12 at a Hawks game. (You may have to refresh it once it opens to make it play.):

http://www.nba.com/popups/vidPopup.html?clipType=RM&src=rtsp%3A//a389.r.akareal.net/ondemand/7/389/6101/v0001/video.nba.com/hawks/hawks_degarmo_anthem_lo.rm&topImage=&adSponsor=®Location=&reload=true

Tara said...

Trying this again:

http://www.nba.com/popups/vidPopup.html?clipType=RM&src=rtsp%3A//a389.r.akareal.net/ondemand/7/389/6101/v0001/video.nba.com/hawks/hawks_degarmo_anthem_lo.rm&topImage=&adSponsor=®Location=&reload=true

Dianafan said...

Diana is not too loud or shouty. You should go back and review the 2004 Nascar video and listen to how long she held that note. Also, there is audio on YouTube of her singing a song from Brooklyn The Musical, called "Once Upon A Time". This song brings everyone to tears. Listen to it, and I'll guarantee you'll think she has one of the best voices you've ever heard. :)

Anonymous said...

I like them all, but I will have to ABSOLUTELY agree that Anthony Fedorov is #1

Anonymous said...

I agree that no one sings it better than Anthony Fedorov! Those glorious notes .... just SUPERB and it's done so effortless.....AMAZING!!!

Beautiful voice! Beautiful man!

Anonymous said...

I listened to all the versions you listed and I have to say that at the very least I agree with your number one choice of Anthony Fedorov. Absolutely amazing. He's either grown in talent since Idol or he was not given the chance to showcase those vocal chords on the show. Breathtaking.

Anonymous said...

I really love Clay's voice but I have to agree the #1 here is Anthony Fedorov.....beautiful, simply beautiful.... what a great talent he is! I hear he will have an album out next year and you can bet I'll be in line!

Anonymous said...

I listed to most all of them and I have to say, you are right on the money with Anthony Fedorov - OMG he gave me chills

Anonymous said...

Anthony is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Anthony Fedorov is far the best singer of them all and his performance of the Anthem is the best I've ever heard, his voice reaches to the heaven when he sings those glorious notes. As somebody here already said - amazing voice of this young handsome man will be heard strong and amazing in the future and we all will enjoy it!

nonna said...

I def. agree that Anthony Fedorov rox the NA....I rate him up there with Ray Charles and Marvin Gayes version.....beautiful and heartfelt versions all....

Anonymous said...

You were so right to rank Anthony's version at #1. Just beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yea i listened to all of them.... and I totally agree with you on you're number one choice.. Anthony Fedorov's version of the anthem is absolutly breath taking.. he has such an amazing voice.. good job!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yea i listened to all of them.... and I totally agree with you on you're number one choice.. Anthony Fedorov's version of the anthem is absolutly breath taking.. he has such an amazing voice.. good job!!!!

Anonymous said...

Anthony Fedorov's version of the National Anthem showcased everything wonderful about his voice. The resonance in his voice alone is enough to give me chills.

Anonymous said...

Lisa's Angel anthem was fantastic, but when she sang it at the Mighty Ducks/Calgary Flames playoff game at the Anaheim Pond in April 2006 - now that was really amazing!

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.