Thursday, May 18, 2006

Cover Me

I've been running into quite a few covers recently, some impressive, some not so much. I get a kick out of hearing famous artists cover other people's songs. It's interesting!

The impressive:
Tori Amos - "Operator" by Jim Croce
Bo Bice - "Doesn't Remind Me" by Audioslave
Shinedown - "One" by U2 (by the way, there's also an acoustic version of "I Dare You", aka the song that Chris Daughtry screamed his voice into near-oblivion with)
Gavin Degraw - "A Song For You" by Donny Hathaway
Carrie Underwood - "Bless The Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts

Not too bad:
Lifehouse - "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane (would have been better if they had done something distinctive to it)
Switchfoot - "God Only Knows" by The Beach Boys

Interesting:
Rob Thomas - "Borderline" by Madonna (It's cool at first, but then it just drags into the neverending song. I like Jody Watley's better)

Yikes:
Natasha Bedingfield - "The Scientist" by Coldplay (really emphasizes her weak vocals)
Jason Mraz - "Blitzkrieg Bop" by The Ramones (sung in that distinctive Mraz way, making this song very unrecognizable)
Big and Rich - "Like A Virgin" by Madonna (I have no words)

4 comments:

tammy said...

Hey! Jason Mraz isn't yikesworthy!! I really liked his cover. I love when he goes acoustic. He made it his own, yo. ;)

Liza D. said...

Heh. The only reason I put it in yikes is because I had no idea he was singing THAT song until I clicked on the Ramones link. Then I was all "WHAAAAAAAA?" I can't imagine what Simon would have said to that. Now if Chris Daughtry had done it, Simon would have called him a genius. ;)

BTW - I LOVE Jason Mraz's acoustic You And I Both.

Christine said...

A better cover by Tori Amos is "I'm On Fire," by Bruce Springsteen.

christine said...

Oh, and Sarah McLachlan does "Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel pretty well.