Thursday, March 23, 2006

Chris Daughtry: Not as original as you think

For two straight weeks, the American Idol judges have lavished praise on Chris Daughtry for turning old standards into current-sounding songs. Last week, it was Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground" that Randy Jackson said Chris "made it your own". This week, his "originality" and creative genius was lauded by the judges after his modern version of Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line".

Hogwash.

Chris is not making songs his own. He's doing covers of covers. His "Higher Ground" was a copy of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' version done in the late 80's. His oh-so-original "I Walk The Line" was previously arranged, performed and recorded by Live on their Awake: The Best of Live CD.

I'm not saying that Chris is taking credit for these arrangements. For all we know, he mentioned that in his interview, but it ended up on the cutting room floor. But I think the producers and judges are definitely trying to make it appear as if Chris is a musical genius who can make any song his own. He is undeniably The Chosen One. He is the one who gets the light shows, the fog, the pimp spots. He is the one they showed playing his guitar in the pimp-mercial last week. And as much as I understand that it's good that Chris is sticking to what he does because in the real world, he's never going to have to sing a Broadway tune or a 50's tune, he is taking the fun out of the theme nights by doing the same style every week. It's getting boring. If they have another Broadway night (which they probably won't because there really aren't any 90's band rock covers of Broadway tunes that Chris can borrow), don't be surprised to see Chris doing something like "We Will Rock You" from the similarly-titled musical. Meanwhile, the Un-Chosen One, Bo Bice, had to sing "Corner of the Sky" from Pippin last year.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

For people like me who don't really KNOW of other bands doing covers of songs Chris has sung, I was definitely impressed with the way he sung the two songs for sure. A lot of the audience members (viewers too) who are of the older generation only know the real Johnny Cash version-so imagine their surprise to hear Chris sing something totally "different". Even though someone ELSE sang that song differently even BEFORE Chris, I still think he is awesome-and he SHOULD get props for everything.

Plus you know how the producers are-always trying to pimp up their faves and make it look like THEY wrote practically every single song themselves...I think Chris could EASILY do something Broadway-he could pick a rock song from Tommy or Joseph-that is his style, to sing rock..Bo had his voice while he sang what he could, Chris has his own-I think it is all working out juuuuuuust fine!

Just wait though, someone like Pickler will end up winning! OH BOY!

Lisa said...

I dunno-I don't think Chris is taking the fun out of theme nights-he is very much like Bo that way. Just singing with his usual voice and that is about it-I DO understand in a way what you mean though..it would be nice if he can just sing a straight pop song and see how he does, as opposed to totally vamping it in to a rock song...I think Elliot has more of that capability. I guess with rock artists they almost tend to limit themselves with their voices and style...I still think Chris did an AMAZING job on his Walk the Line-I never heard the cover before so for me I compared it to the original and totally LOVED it!!