Saturday, March 11, 2006

Being Blunt

The hottest artist in music today is probably James Blunt. He was just on Oprah this week, singing his two singles, "You're Beautiful" and "Goodbye My Lover".



This lyric in "Goodbye My Lover" kills me:
And I still hold your hand in mine
In mine when I'm asleep.

The first time I heard "You're Beautiful" was when I saw the video on Vh1. The song itself seems pretty literal to me - he sees his ex in a subway with another man and realizes they can never be together again; the video is definitely more abstract. It's just him with a stark background, and all he does in the video is sing to the camera while stripping his clothes and then carefully and neatly laying them down on the ground. At the very end of the song, he jumps off a cliff into the water. It has been interpreted as being about suicide, but I don't think that is the case. I'd be interested to hear what other people think about it. Maybe it's symbolic of baptism or maybe the video means nothing more than James Blunt has a cheap video budget. :P

7 comments:

Tammy said...

Ooo when was James on Oprah? How on earth did I miss this? Thanks for posting the video. Did you ever buy his album after I sent you those songs? I hadn't really thought much about his video aside from thinking it was very british in the way that Coldplay's 'Yellow' was, very bleak looking, and that they were looking for any video treatment that had him taking off his shirt. Ha! But as minimal as the video is, its very effective, you have trouble taking your eyes off of him. Last week it was parodied on Mad TV. It was a little disturbing, they had a woman wearing a muscle suit singing the song.

Liza D. said...

He was on Wednesday, I think. I did buy the album (downloaded on Sony Connect); I really like it! I heard Mischa Barton is the lead in the new video for "Goodbye My Lover" and that there's some a big ol' sex scene in it. That's a bit disturbing.

Destiny said...

I love James Blunt! I'd love to get him, Amos Lee, and Daniel Bedingfield in a room and make them sing their hearts out.

Christine said...

I watched the Oprah episode. I really like her, but gosh she can be so full of herself sometimes!! She was like, "I've never heard of you, where did you come from?!" Like if she has never heard of someone, then he must be a no one! But yeah, the stripped-down acoustic version was really good. But don't you think the other song sounded just like "You're Beautiful?" He was really sweet and down to earth, wasn't he? Very refreshing, especially compared to Ms. O that day.

Liza D. said...

I know! Oprah has such self-importance, doesn't she? "I have never heard of you before (PEON!)"

destiny said...

The crazy thing is that I actually thought Oprah was really tame in terms of self-righteousness during this episode. She didn't have any shots of herself singing during either of James' performances. That is a serious rarity.

Have I mentioned that I've rewatched his appearance on the show ten times now? Le sigh.

Christine said...

She wasn't singing because she doesn't know the songs! There wasn't anything to show!