Friday, March 24, 2006

10 Songs You Haven't Heard In Ages

While perusing my iPod during a workout today, I thought of a new thing to blog about - songs you hear that make you go "AWWWW! I haven't heard this song in ages! I love this song!"

So here are 10, in no particular order, straight out of my iPod (and if anyone has any good songs that fall into this category, I'm always looking for new things to add to the iPod!):

1. Hands To Heaven - Breathe
"So raise your hands to heaven and pray/That we'll be back together some day
Tonight I need your sweet embrace/Hold me in the darkness"

This one is just beautiful. Those Brits sure put out some great songs in the 80's.

2. Two Occasions - The Deele
"'Cause everytime I close my eyes I think of you/No matter what the season is I still love you
With all my heart/I want to be with you wherever you are
I only think of you on two occasions/That's day and night"

This is Babyface before he became Babyface. Great slow-jam, just like ...

3. Tender Love - Force MDs
"Here I lay all alone/Tossing, turning
Longing for some of your/Tender love"

Didn't someone sample this recently? I was thinking it was Frankie J.'s "Don't Wanna Try", but it's just that the piano opening sounds really similar.

4. One Sweet Day - Mariah Carey/Boyz II Men
"And I know you're shining down on me from heaven/Like so many friends we've lost along the way
And I know eventually we'll be together/One sweet day"

After they overplayed this song to death in 1995 (it was No. 1 for an all-time record 16 weeks straight) I think enough time has passed for it to be ok to listen to again. This song is so weepy and overwrought (between Mariah and Wanya, is that a surprise?), but it never fails to move me.

5. Purple Rain - Prince
"I never meant to cause you any sorrow/I never meant to cause you any pain
I only want to see you laughing in the purple rain"

I think this is another one that you loved but just got sick of and didn't want to hear anymore back in the day. Nothing beats hearing Prince sing this song live, though! I think it turned into a 12 minute song in concert.

6. Stay - Lisa Loeb
"You say I only hear what I want to/You say I talk so all the time"

I guess if you haven't been watching Lisa Loeb's reality show on E! or if you haven't watched Reality Bites recently, you may not have heard this song in a while. I actually have heard it quite a few times on some Hot AC stations, but it's the kind of song that you squee over anytime you hear it.

7. Full Of Grace - Sarah McLachlan
"I'm pulled down by the undertow/I never thought I could feel so low
And, oh, darkness, I feel like letting go
If all of the strength and all of the courage/Come and lift me from this place
I know I could love you much better than this/Full of grace"

Strange as this may sound, this song I always associate with Dawson's Creek and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, back when the WB first started playing all this cool new music on their shows. I believe this song was played in the first season of Dawson's and the second of Buffy's, when she was leaving town after she killed Angel. It's a very haunting, sad and wistful song.

8. Goodbye To You - Michelle Branch
"I've been searching deep down in my soul/Words that I'm hearing are starting to get old
Feels like I'm starting all over again/The last 3 years were just pretend
And I said goodbye to you/Goodbye to everything that I knew
You were the one I loved/The one thing that I tried to hold on to"


Speaking of songs heard on Buffy, here's another one that I associate with that show. I think it was played at the end of "Tabula Rasa" when Willow and Tara broke up and Buffy and Spike first hooked up. Great episode, by the way. Funny as hell when they all opened the door to the Magic Shop, saw the sharks and screamed.

9. Why - Annie Lennox
"How many times do I have to try to tell you
That I'm sorry for the things I've done"

I love, love, love this song. And Kelly Clarkson sings an absolutely gorgeous cover of it in concert. If you can find a download of it, it's so worth it.

10. Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz
"I was born long ago/I am the chosen, I'm the one
I have come to save the day/And I won't leave until I'm done"

This song kicks ass. It makes me want to learn guitar just to play the riffs in this song.

Next blog: 10 embarrassing songs I'm not afraid to admit I have in my iPod

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Is it bad that I don't recall ever having heard the first three songs?
One Sweet Day was soooo overplayed. Although I like the song, it feels like the kind of thing some greasy record producer would have come up with, slapping their hands together, cackling gleefully "Mariah and Boyz II Men! Together! We'll make millions!' Insert evil moustache twirl here.
Speaking of songs from Reality Bites, I heard My Sharona today and totally squeed when I heard it. Then headbanged to the entire song in my car. Hee!
I have no shame :P

Liza D. said...

Gasp! You don't know Hands to Heaven? I'll send you a copy when I get home. The other two ... they probably didn't play too many R&B slow jams in Canada, eh?

Funny thing today ... just as I write about not hearing One Sweet Day in ages, I hear the song today!

Did you do the Jeanene Garafalo 80's dance from the AM/PM in your car?

Tammy said...

No, they don't play too much r&b here in Canada. Well they do, but no where near as much as in the US. But back then it probably would have been nearly impossible for me to hear that music anyways, since the radio here played mostly country music and classic rock from the 70s. Seriously. Those were my choices. And since we only got like four channels on the tv, never really saw many music videos either. When my brother moved to the city, when we'd come to visit him, we'd spend 90% of the time there watching the music channels. Cable tv is a wonderous thing if you've never had it!The first time I saw an INXS video was on Pop Up video. I'd never really heard of them before that, and was still fairly unawares pre RS: INXS (don't you love how I can make everything relate back to that show? ha! its a talent. )So naturally I have been spending the past few years consuming as much pop culture as possible. hahaha

And yes, I totally did the Janeane dance in my car. :P